Pages

Monday 31 March 2014

Multidimensional Monday

Today I wrote a story. It was around 2500 words and it was about the unseelie Fey. I had the story gurgling in my head for a while so the story flowed quite swiftly onto the page once I began typing. I sent it off and started its sister piece about the seelie court. I sent all my seasonal fairy stories off too and a mermaid poem. I did my first RhyPiBoMo activity and planned my next and I drew up all the April activities on my window ready to tick off as I go. I am at 127% of my target of writing 500 words per day. Pretty exciting stuff.

I have signed up for my first critique week in April for the RhyPi BoMo and I am about to begin my camp Nano. Big Big moth ahead.

I had to add a sentence to my earlier 38 week challenge story because it did not quite fit the flash fiction criteria. Once I added two short sentences it turned into a short anecdotal style flash fiction rather than a dissertation on cabbages.

here is the revision



Week 2 Cabbage (revised to make it a FF)
My friend the cabbage.
I skim the results of my blood tests and drop the paper on the desk.
Did you know the Russian’s are eating twenty kilograms of cabbage each every year, Belgians 4.7, in the Netherlands they are eating 4kg each and the Spaniards are nibbling 4.2kg while the Americans are munching their way through 3.9kg and here in Oz we are eating less than 2kg. Just two and what does that mean for us? It means someone is eating my share. 
Cabbage seeds travelled to Australia in 1788 with the First Fleet. Some enterprising gardener probably under the threat of the lash,  planted them on Norfolk Island. Cabbage became a favourite vegetable of Australians by the 1830s and was frequently seen at the Sydney Markets. It was used by seafarers as a great source of vitamin C and fibre as well as all the other fabulous nutrients they didn’t even know about but they did know it prevented bleeding gums and bone problems.
I think I had cabbage in some fast food coleslaw not long ago, it might have been cabbage, it was crunchy and pale greenish white and it said cabbage in the fine print.
I used cabbage leaves on my red hot sore mammaries a decade or so ago and it was cool and comfortable and eased my pain but I am not sure I ate the rest of it?
I need to change my thinking about cabbage. Really I do. I read last night that the humble cabbage has been found to protect mice from lethal doses of radiation and has been in numerous tests found to be a useful cancer preventative and “may protect normal tissues during radiation therapy for cancer treatment and prevent or mitigate sickness caused by radiation exposure.” Now that has to be a good reason for eating cabbage! I glance at the test results again and return to reading the webpages.
Not only does the good old cabbage have plenty of vitamin K, vitamin C and fibre, it is also an excellent source of manganese, vitamin B6, and folate; and a good source of thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium, vitamin A, tryptophan, protein, and magnesium and the Purple cabbage also contains anthocyanins, whatever they are. Sounds like an anti-dinosaur repellent.
Okay I had best make friends with a cabbage or two or three kilograms of it. My future health and wellbeing may depend on it.   401

I loved the poem I wrote and an unusual thing happened when it was complete. I centered the text and it was shaped like a mermaid. No planning it just happened. How incredible is that. What amazing things were happening in that huge gurgling subconscious of mine?

Okay well back to finishing that story or I will run past the deadline.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3