Pages

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Y is for Yearning

Yearning = a feeling of intense longing for something.  I have a yearning to be published under my own cover. By this I mean my own novel or picture book. I am working toward that with all the things I do each day. I blog, I blog hop, I read and I study, I practice and practice and I write. Oh I write and write and write.

I read the three Divergent novels in the last two days and I yearn to be able to write in a manner that feels easy and flowing as this trilogy is. There a a lot of new writers who have that easy flow to their work.I told someone recently that I knit tight and write tight and I wonder if I loosened up metaphorically whether I would write with more of a loose flow? 

I like my writing and apparently my beta readers like my writing and editors of anthologies like my writing but still I feel it could be a little more relaxed. I should try relaxing.

There are other things I yearn for, some I can never have because they could only be achieved by other people changing who they are so these are more pipe dreams than yearnings. I never realised that pipe dreams referred to the hallucinations obtained from smoking various pipes including opium and other plant based products. I never was interested in smoking but I do admit I like the smell of some tobacco products before they are set on fire.

So yearning? I yearn for romance and love but I am practical enough to realise the closest I will get to that is by writing a novel and having my protagonist live the yearning for me. 

I yearn to travel and feel this is withing the boundaries of  possible. My yearning increased after seeing all the wonderful plaes people have blogged about.

I also yearn to reach my word count before Wednesday so I better get on with it. 


What do you yearn for? 


10 comments:

  1. I just yearn, for once in my life, to finish something!
    Meanwhile,thanks for the pipe dreams reference. I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. small steps keithchanning small steps. I had to break up my goals into small steps to actually reach the finish line. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you the very best for your book-dream to come true. Do let us know through your blog when your novel is published :) And who knows maybe your other longing for that love might also come true alongside the first one...Universe has its own way of making good things happen in two's or more :)
    And thanks for the info on pipe dreams...very interesting.

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. - Beauty Interprets, Expresses, Manifests the Eternal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecilia, I also love learning the root of popular sayings so thanks for sharing that. I too yearn for a book that I wrote to be published. It is my first novel, currently shelved, collecting dust, after many rejections. I wrote a blog post not long ago called Query Burn Out about my experiences. Thanks for this post and for sharing your yearnings. I really hope your work makes it way to publication. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, I believe I read a blog post with that title? Hmm burnout in any form is not pleasant. I hope you can find a home for your novel, remember some of the greatest stories were rejected multiple times.

      Delete
  4. I yearn to finish this current work in progress! I yearn to earn a basic living by my novels. I yearn to be more of a hard worker than I feel I am.... So nice for you to visit my blog and comment. Thanks. I might have to read the Divergent novels now, but really wanted to wait til after I saw the movies, so as not to be disappointed. Did not know that about pipe dreams! And don't give up on romance and love! You're too young for that, and, who knows, maybe the "loosening up" will help in that department as well as your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you yearning for an income from writing :) Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. Right now I yearn to have some vacations where I can disconnect from everything! nice post... visiting from www.bayessence.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh a vacation, yes that would be delicious and leaving the phone on the kitchen bench before leaving. Yes! Hope you get one.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3