Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

L for Lacrimonious Lundi

although I am not extremely teary and weepy at all.

Love is the best L word I think and Lasagna, licorice, lollies, lick, lemons, lyrebird, lyrics and lace.

Lucy Lawless is apparently an L name for today and has been on the tongue (la langue) of everyone at Melbourne SupaNova pop culture convention.


Lots of lucious L words languish and are lost from our language and we should look them up in a lexicon so we can avail ourselves of such luxuries.
Here is a favourite L word that people keep trying to correct me on when I already use it correctly and they don't...



‘Laid’ or ‘lain’?
People are often perplexed about this group of words. The important thing to remember is that there are two quite separate verbs involved. 
Lay is the present tense of a verb whose basic meaning is ‘place something in a more or less horizontal position’, with the past tense and participle laid.
Lay is also the past tense of the verb lie (‘assume a horizontal or resting position’); while lain is the past participle.
So the proper use is:

Lay
Lie
present tense
Please lay it on the floor.
Go and lie down.
past tense
She laid the book on the desk.
She went and lay down.
past participle
They had laid it on the floor.
The body had lain in the field for some time.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/laid-or-lain

 And my novel is still under construction. I am pretty sure I will have enough words to drive me crazy through the editing process by the end of the month. An easy 30k. I was reading up on showing not telling and realise I am getting better at it.







RhyPiBoMO: Since today is L day I thought I would share a Limerick. 

there once was a girl who loved music
though she could not rhythm or rhyme
so out of time  and tune did she clap
everyone said "please stop its such  'c--ap'"
so she made her living as an insurance salesperson 
  (it is supposed to be bad :S)

 today's lesson on RhPiBoMo was a pep talk about music and believing that we all can and should sing and no one is tone deaf is they can hear the difference between a tuba and a piccolo  or a cow mooing and a bird tweeting.  Then we were all encouraged to go and make our words 'sing'. I think mine are becoming more lyrical. I am certainly having some excellent responses to the work I am sending for critiques. I find when I try to force the story it falls flat but if I let it just flow out of me then the words flow too.

I read "We're going on a bear hunt" today and several other rhyming picture books and then listened to them on youtube. It was a delight to simply listen to the flow of a story being read out loud. Then I went and wrote a mini horror story. Which might seem a little incongruous but it is all about the writing and making the writing work. I cannot share it as I am sending it off to an anthology but it made my sister shudder in broad daylight so I think it works. :)

There was a little rhyming party this morning at 9am (6pm US time) and I missed it catching up on sleep from the night before that I missed so it was 11am when I finally dragged myself out into a beautiful sunshiny day. I washed the curtains to take advantage of this late Autumn sunshine and scrubbed the stove and sink and did lots of domestic things including making a fantastic chili con carne which isn't exactly an L word food. I served it with spiced wedges made from potato, carrot and pumpkin. Delicious.

Lundi by the way has a variety of meanings
in countries that are partially derived from Latin it meant day of the moon diēs(day) of the lunae (moon) lunae being a form of luna. and so Moon Day = Monday
In Old Norse it was a masculine noun lundi  and it means puffin so any languages derived in part from Old Norse have kept the word.
it could be argued then that today is Puffin Day. :)

No one won in this weeks Mid week Blues Buster. Not enough of us entering work but it is still a great opportunity to right tight and under 500(although I went WAY over limit).

My 38 week challenge piece seems to have favourable reviews this week

In the 52 week challenge there is a lot of encouragement going on to get the onlookers participating. Too many have expressed nervousness that their work is not good enough but it is such a lovely place to put art and all the people sharing are encouraging and kind and very supportive.

Alright then my L day is nearing the end. The sun is down, the house is settling. My curtains need to go back up on the window and my tea is getting cold so I will wish you all LOVE and kindness and hope your week ahead is wonderful.






15 comments:

  1. Love is defntly the best L word but Lasagna is also a lovely word . Good post.
    Good luck with the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do Love lasagna :) Hope you are enjoying the challenge too

      Delete
  2. There are many tricky pairs in English that result in grammar errors, but most are easy to distinguish if people would take the time. However, I'll grant that lie/lay is probably the hardest to remember and apply. Still, it grates on my nerves when I hear news reporters getting it wrong. People in the communications business have an obligation to use our language correctly.
    Visiting from A to Z~
    Wendy at Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bought and brought are the two that trip me up on occasion. I wish the news reporters would get it right especially as they influence so much of the listening public. I agree with you there. Thanks for visiting Wendy

      Delete
  3. Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sear Cecilia, Love your fab Ls!!! I also COMPLETELY AND THOROUGHLY adore the person who understands the difference between LIE AND LAY . I didn't think there was anyone else out there who cared!!! I am so grateful to you! xox jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is always good to learn where the lay of the land is. :) Thanks for popping by

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. it is good to check each others musings out.

      Delete
  6. So fun that we chose a similar word to discuss today. I loved Lucy Lawless as Xena. Good luck with all your rhyming. It takes me tons of practice to get it anywhere near right.

    Thanks for visiting The Busy Mom's Daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am practicing all the time. It will all make sense in the end. I will pop over to The Busy Mum's daily again. :)

      Delete
  7. Haha. I love the limerick. It made me giggle. I agree that the lie/lay issue is a problem. Even though I know how it should go, the "she went and lay down" one always drives me nuts. It just sounds funny. I guess I've just been conditioned to it improperly. :) Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. language is a funny thing like that. :) thanks for visiting and taking time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  8. Even though I know the difference, I tend to forget the difference between lay and lie in some instances, and have to look it up. I like the way you explain it here, so I'm going to switch my bookmark to your page. :)

    Random Musings from the KristenHead — L is for 'Longmire' and 'Lost' (and Loddy)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3