Pages

Thursday 10 April 2014

I is for Isabelle

It is also for INK. Illustration and Interviews.
I is an Incredible letter. Infusion, Induction, Injection, Inference, Intelligence and Industry.
I like the letter I.
This is Isabelle
with her favourite celebrity. She is in costume at a Cosplay event in which she is portraying her favourite celebrities longest running character.

Now for Illustration and Invitation
This piece is pencil on paper and is titled: The Invitation.
it is for week 15 of the art challenge on the theme of Details.



okay some RhyPiBoMo homework



Often, in Shakespearean plays high class characters speak in iambic pentameter; lower class characters speak in prose. How interesting, I am glad I learned that.
Writing exercise: See if you can identify the iambs, the pentas, the rhyme scheme,(ABAB CDCD DEDE FF)
the octave(‘now old’ to ‘fearful looks)the volta and the sestet. This was our first quiz! I didn't know there would be quizzes  but I'll try it anyway!

        A Shakespearean sonnet from Romeo and Juliet
Now/ old /de/sire/ doth/ in /his/ death/-bed/ lie, da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
And/ young /af/fec/tion/ gapes /to/ be/ his/ heir;
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
That/ fair/ for/ which /love/ groan’d/ for/ and/ would/ die,
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
With/ ten/der/ Ju/li/et/ match’d/, is/ now/ not/fair.  ?-
da da Dum da-da-da Dum  da-da-da Dum
Now Romeo is belov’d and loves again, da, Dum da Dum    da da Dum da Dum da da
Alike bewitched by the charm of looks, da Dum da Dum da Dum  da Dum da
But to his foe suppos’d he must complain, da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
And she steals love’s sweet bait from fearful hooks:
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
Being held a foe, he may not have access da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
To breathe such vows as lovers us’d to swear; da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
And she as much in love, her means much less
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
To meet her new-beloved anywhere:
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
But passion lends them power, time to meet,
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum
Temper extremity with extreme sweet.
da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum da Dum

I think I messed some of that up but it will come with practice and one day I will look back and say GROAN... 

The Sonnet
The sonnet originated in Italy and in Italian, sonnet means “little bird or little song.”
It is the most flexible and common form of fixed poems
There are 3 common types of sonnets; Petrarchan(aka Italian sonnet), Shakespearean(aka English sonnet), and Spenserian(and him).
The English sonnet has the simplest and most flexible pattern of all sonnets, consisting of 3 quatrains of alternating rhyme and a couplet:
(A quatrain is a type of stanza, or a complete poem, consisting of four lines.)
(Couplets usually consist of two lines that rhyme and have the same meter. A couplet may be formal (closed) or run-on (open). In a formal (or closed) couplet, each of the two lines is end-stopped, meaning that there is a grammatical pause at the end of a line of verse. In a run-on (or open) couplet, the meaning of the first line continues into the second)

Rules for a Sonnet:
It has 14 lines
Written in iambic-pentameter
The first 8 lines are called the Octave.
A problem or the question is set up in these 8 lines.
The 9th line is called the volta(
or turn, is a rhetorical shift or dramatic change in thought and/or emotion. Sometimes known as the fulcrum).
It is the line that changes the shift from problem to solution.
The last 6 lines are called the Sestet. A resolution or response to the octave occurs here.
    a b a b
    c d c d
    e f e f
    g g

As in the Spenserian, each quatrain develops a specific idea, but one closely related to the ideas in the other quatrains.
So the English sonnet is the easiest in terms of its rhyme scheme. It only requires pairs of rhyming words rather than groups of 4, and it is the most flexible in terms of the placement of the volta.
Line one to 8 are about the problem
9 is the volta (turning point) with 9 to 14 being the solution to the problem.
Have we got it? Nope? Me either but I am going to give it a go…

My Sonnet
The thimble
At edge of sight a tiny flash then none,
A thimble left upon a chair is where?
The key sure left hung on its hook is gone.
A silken scarf has vanished in thin air.

A Skitter and scuff, gone the leaves of tea.
Are these tiny foot prints in the dust here,
A trail of scattered crumbs a treat should be?
Fallen on the floor a silver spoon there.

Is this thief I cannot see, a fairy?
Is it, some being, small and spry, nearby?
Treasures to some bower light and airy
The wicked little burglar does fly.
If to the meadow brightly lit go down
should see the thimble as the May Queen’s crown?




It has some clunky prose and needs some work so I will try again but I like the question and possible solution.


Today is also 'I' for interview and here is a link or at least an address to an interview of yours truly with the wonderful Julie Hedland where I describe my journey to a writing career. My big dream and the work involved in achieving it.  http://www.juliehedlund.com/tuesday-12-x-12-cecilia-clark/
there were lots of wonderful and caring comments from kidlit writers all over the world that totally warmed my heart. I didn't know it was there until someone popped onto FB and let me know, :) 


Blogging the book. Today I talked about the story and I thought about the story. A writer does a lot of thinking which can be a problem if the thinking blanks out everything else around. I did not write more than a few sentences but that is okay. I rethought a scene in which I just skimmed over it with a sentence so I want to expand that scene to make it more about the family dynamics to explain the main character more.













11 comments:

  1. That 'Invitation' drawing is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I enjoyed drawing her.

      Delete
  2. i remember trying to get my head around iambic during English glass many moons ago. Lovely illustration, by the way.

    a-z. donnaalam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. I am finding my art is medatative. The rhyme/poetry class I am doing is intense but I think it is finally starting to make sense.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes Eileen I did. I really liked the end result. I am writing a lot of fairy fiction lately so it seemed appropriate.

      Delete
  4. I learnt a new thing on ur blog today - a sonnet . Thanks for so many innovative things
    That sketch is so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Afshan, I learn something new every day and I put in on my blog, I am so pleased I could share that learning with you.

      Delete
  5. Great illustration, and interesting post. I remember learning about iambic pentameters back in school. Not sure I could manage to write a sonnet like yours though. Wishing you a great day and enjoy the rest of the A to Z http://detoutcoeurlimousin.blogspot.fr/2014/04/bon-journee-our-potential-for-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying learning it as an adult and did not appreciate it as a child. I need a lot more practice but it is fun putting up my fumbling attempts. :)

      Delete
  6. So interesting! I'm loving all of your illustrations as well!

    Random Musings from the KristenHead — I is for iPhone (and Indian Food)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3