Monday, 24 February 2014

Monday 24th February

I took most of today off from writing or editing or critiquing or anything infact I simply read after lunch time but I believe reading is vital for all good writers. If I wish to write a picture book of any merit I need to read 500 picture books. So on that note today's picture book is

Now here is a book with merit.


Author: Michael Ian Black
Illustrator: Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Year of publications: 2012
Hard cover


Readership.Young readers of all ages


Characters:Child, Potato
 




Overview
A bored child explains to a potato why kids are not boring. I found great delight in this story and smiled at every turn of the page. I chuckled and I read it to my adult son then gave it to another grown son and we all giggled and thought it was cute and fun.  I read it aloud and imagined the voice of the potato as dry and monotone. I am still chuckling and recommending it to all my young parenting friends. 

illustrations : This is delightful. The images made me smile with every page I turned. Debbie Ridpath Ohi has captured the essence of boredom and imagination and my admiration for this simple and effective art

This is a witty and delightful book and will entertain both reader and audience. I love the way the artist has used every page to fully demonstrate the boredom of the main character and the growing insistence that "kids can do anything".