Pages

Monday 24 February 2014

Monday 24th February

I took most of today off from writing or editing or critiquing or anything infact I simply read after lunch time but I believe reading is vital for all good writers. If I wish to write a picture book of any merit I need to read 500 picture books. So on that note today's picture book is

Now here is a book with merit.


Author: Michael Ian Black
Illustrator: Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Year of publications: 2012
Hard cover


Readership.Young readers of all ages


Characters:Child, Potato
 




Overview
A bored child explains to a potato why kids are not boring. I found great delight in this story and smiled at every turn of the page. I chuckled and I read it to my adult son then gave it to another grown son and we all giggled and thought it was cute and fun.  I read it aloud and imagined the voice of the potato as dry and monotone. I am still chuckling and recommending it to all my young parenting friends. 

illustrations : This is delightful. The images made me smile with every page I turned. Debbie Ridpath Ohi has captured the essence of boredom and imagination and my admiration for this simple and effective art

This is a witty and delightful book and will entertain both reader and audience. I love the way the artist has used every page to fully demonstrate the boredom of the main character and the growing insistence that "kids can do anything".

3 comments:

  1. I had seen a review of this delightful book before! The strength of the dialogue you mention between potato and child is hilarious! Great choice, Cecilia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can this book be obtained on Amazon.ca ?

      Delete
  2. Please reply on kdowey2@gmail.com thank-you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3