Pages

Friday 3 March 2017

The thrid week - I should have known better


Publication Puberty Blues

One of the adages bandied about in the writing community is "If someone asks you for money up front to publish - you are being ripped off".

I managed to avoid having my wallet heavily skimmed over the past few years but I sure as heck didn't make any money as the pile of publications with my writing and art has grown. Sure, some of the publications were raising money for good causes and I am a sucker for a good cause but I have had to pay for a copy of most and have not had the budget to acquire some and I won copies of others in competitions where they were offered as prizes, I have only once been given a copy of a publication and that was a small writing group.

Too many  small press like to groom the little hopefuls(like me) to "do it for the experience", "it will get your name out there."

I am no longer doing it for "EXPERIENCE".

That term makes me very angry. So many people offer the dubious thrill of experience as the payment for artists/writers/musicians creativity. The creative person is expected to pay their rent and electricity bill and put food on the table with "EXPERIENCE" while the person taking the creative work makes plenty of money from the hard work of others. There are far too many sharks in the waters folks, quite a few wolves in the woods and plenty of naive, gullible, bright eyed creatives out there losing a lot of money for the thrill of seeing their name in print.

 I should have known better.

 I should have valued myself and my work.

I should have known that I am entitled to be paid for my work the same as a surgeon, a mechanic or a gardener would be, even fast food teenagers get paid and so should I.

I should have learned my industry the easier way.  Through study and research.

It takes a long time for the pay cheque to come for a writer, which can be disheartening, and having something - anything - published can be a big, albeit temporary, boost to the self esteem but in the long run it isn't worth it to throw away your treasure to the sharks.

I have learned some valuable lessons over the past few years and come through relatively unscathed and now I know that what I create is worth being paid for. 




 Editing

Guess what, there is a serious typo in my title. It is there to remind me that I need to practice my copy editing skills.

I feel out of my depth with the meta language of our language but, just as with my other language studies, slowly but surely and with plenty of practice, I will acquire the knowledge to know the function of the words in sentences and it will take my writing to a higher level. It might even help me with the cases in the other languages.  Cheer me on gang. <3

Do you have a 'rip off an artiste" story you could share with me? Tell me in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. Exactly! I share in at least 4 of the pictured anthologies and had at least 7 others from a particular publisher. I felt a part of something like a secret club and when each made best seller I thought it would lead to success of my work but instead I gave away copies of my work in release parties and couldn't get reviews for it. Followed by anthologies going out of print when publisher said they'd be there forever just made me sad and confused. On the plus side I gathered those tales into a story collection. I understand so much the feelings behind this because I share the experience but we write on and find healthier venues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the stories and found it so disheartening that they failed to further my career. One publisher actually published a short story of mine without me ever signing a contract and after I believed I had withdrawn it. The story had a continuous trickle of money going their way but I found out three years later. I asked them to take it down off Amazon but I had no response. It was a hard lesson but I hope I learned it. Thanks for taking the time to pop by and comment.

      Delete
  2. I have had many a time being told as an actor that it would be good experience for my many hours of toil to make money for someone holding the purse strings. I too am jilted by my work being used to line others' pockets as I struggle in my own home. If it were just the wider community trying to steal my work I think I'd be a little less jaded however it has been other artists whom have negated my work for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creative people are vital and should be revered as such. I know you have an incredible impact on the people who hear your songs and should never be treated so abysmally. It is so much more painful when other industry people rip us off. Keep up the good creativity Mim never let the Bust- ards keep you down!

      Delete
  3. Not having the need yet to submit two of my finished manuscripts - while writing a dozen others - to any publishers, your blog serves as a warning of the traps in the industry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome. There are many pitfalls and the best way to avoid them is to learn of their existence. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3