Pages

Tuesday 28 October 2014

I won't do it, I haven't got the time.







I won't do it, I haven't got the time.

I don’t do Halloween.
 No pumpkins, brooms or witches
I don’t like monsters and ghosts just leave me cold
I can’t abide those costumes with red and stripy britches
I don’t like snotty brats knocking on my door 
I won’t give treats to kids, who really don’t deserve it
The giggling and screeching
those tippy tappy footsteps
 annoying high pitched laughs, oh
It all gives me a headache and
the things that really scare me
are the creak I heard upstairs
A footfall and a loud tick tock
I live alone and have no clock.
I don’t do Halloween. 
  
(word count excluding title 99)

My entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's


The 4th Annual HALLOWEENSIE CONTEST!!!!!
courtesy google images
The Contest:  write a 100 word Halloween story appropriate for children (title not included in the 100 words), using the words pumpkinbroomstick, and creak.   Your story can be poetry or prose, scary, funny or anything in between, but it will only count for the contest if it includes those 3 words and is 100 words (you can go under, but not over!)  Get it?  Halloweensie - because it's not very long and it's for little people :)  (And yes, I know 100 words is short but that's part of the fun and the challenge!  We got nearly 80 fantastic entries last year so I know you can do it!)  Also, you may use the words in any form - e.g. creak, creaky, creaks, creaking, creaked.

36 comments:

  1. I adore Halloween but I wouldn't mind living without a clock! Nice entry, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Julie http://julierowanzoch.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. Neat story. I love those tippy tappy footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun poem, Cecilia! And such cute drawings. I love the twist on Halloween and the ending is great. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You did it anyway, didn't you? Too hard to resist Halloweensie. Cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now there's a different take on Halloween! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Becky, I had some practice with the anthology :)

      Delete
  7. Ha! I love the last few lines, especially - the footsteps and the loud tick tock/I live alone and have no clock. Good reason to be fearful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, Cecilia! Haha. Love your art too. It's wonderful. I love the red and stripy britches. Excellent!! You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Deb...very different and cool, Cecilia! :0ooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa, a completely out of the world POV story ! great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, being alone makes things seem scarier, and echoes of Poe with the ticking clock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah - the Grinch meets Halloween! Great POV!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. Aha--nice title tie-in...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, spooky Cecilia! I wonder what's up there??? I love the double meaning in your title too - since you originally said you wouldn't have time to enter the contest :) Thanks so much for joining in the fun! And now, seriously, what is up there???!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna and thank you for all the wonderful little competitions you run.

      Delete
  15. Very unusual take on Halloween. Loved your ending.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this anti Halloween story and such great rhythm in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha, loved your take on Halloween. Scary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my chatter and look at my pictures. I hope you found something to brighten your day. <3